If you’ve preserved lemons before, this is pretty much the same recipe. Not much too it but like preserved lemons you end up with something powerful and different. Use them in any dish you want a spike of concentrated orange flavor.
- 2-3 medium, ripe oranges plus 1 for juice
- a pile (technical measurement) of coarse sea salt or kosher salt. I use sea salt.
- 1 pint mason jar with top and ring
What to do
- Slice oranges into 1/3 inch rounds, then slice in half across to make half moons
- place a layer of salt in the bottom of the jar
- layer oranges then salt then oranges then salt etc..
- do not be concerned with over salting, go nuts
- as you layer press oranges down to release juice
- when jar is full cover oranges with more juice and salt
- turn upside down and back a few times to mix
- makes sure oranges are covered
- seal jars and store in a dark place for 2-3 months
- to use remove oranges, cut away pulp and use the peel / rind